"No! I don't want to put my socks and shoes on!" she plaintively wails. "I don't want to go to the store! I want to stay home!!!"
It is time to go to the store, this conversation has happened 4 times now. I can feel my frustration level rising.
"I only want to go to the store if I can get a treat!"
"We are not buying treats today", I say for the second time, and, "get your socks and shoes on now!"
Sobbing ensues. She is angry with me. I wonder why she cannot accept things are not going to happen the way she wishes they would and just go along with my plans. This is better for her, she cannot stay home alone, and we need some groceries. I am agitated, and tired of trying to make her see my view.
My heart is pricked, and I recall a verse taped to the bathroom wall, put there in hopes of helping the children, and realize it was really for me.
A gentle answer turns away wrath. And, Pleasent words are soothing to the soul and healing to the bones.
I call her to come to me. She drags her feet, her face pink and wet, still petulant. She stops a few feet away. Come closer. Here, I pat my lap, come here. She climbs onto my lap, "I don't want to go the store!"
I hold her close, kiss her salty cheeks and say, "I know. I know you don't want to go to the store"
"I want a treat from the store"
"I know, you want a treat from the store. We have to go to the store, we need groceries. I love you. I know you don't want to go, but we need to." Another squeeze, "Go get your shoes on, ok?"
"Ok," she says.
We go to the store. Holding hands inside. Many times I am prodded by that verse at the store. Yes, Lord, I hear you. Gentleness, patience, pleasent words. His words are living.
Hours later I lay in bed awake. Thinking about the day. I am reminded this is us and Him. Over and over in our lives, day in and day out. Lord, we don't want to! We want to just do what is comfortable and natural to us. We want Him to go along with our plans, not vice versa. We drag our feet to come to Him when He calls us when we are upset. Then He holds us close, and comforts us. He tells us He understands, and still calls us to do what we resist, encouraging us and staying with us every step of the way. We don't see His view. All we see is the underside of the embroidery, all the ugly knots of ourselves. But He sees the beautiful topside.
I layed in bed tonite, so much change in our lives right now. I thought of a quote I had read earlier. 'All change is for the best if it is bathed in prayer.' I realized I was holding tight to it all, afraid to let it go. I had to pray and release it, my jaw relaxed, I had not realized I was clenching it. All change is for the best if bathed in prayer. He will guide us, He is right there, even when we are stubbornly holding onto ourselves. He is gentle with us, patient with us, His words to us are pleasent. We simply have to drag our feet over and plop into His lap and He will reassure us.
I know it makes no sense, but I am following my mother's blog. haha I can guess what child that was! (and, yes, she does have those verses on the bathroom wall, and I look at them quite often. They were a good idea.)
ReplyDelete