Friday, November 14, 2008

A Quote...

"To plow, one must concentrate all his attention on the line being plowed. Being distracted, just a little, to say nothing of looking back, may lead the plower off the straight line. To follow the Savior, we must forget everything else and press straight ahead for the kingdom of God."

I do not know who wrote this. I copied it onto a scrap piece of printer paper once, many years ago, and it has sat in the top drawer of my buffet all this time. Every so often, when I would clean it out I would find it there, read it and put it back. This morning, as I was picking up my living room I grabbed a crumpled piece of paper off the top of the buffet, ready to trash it, as anyone who knows my cleaning mantra will attest. It was this quote. One of my rugrats had rummaged thru the drawer looking for something, smashed the paper in their hurry and left it out on the top of the buffet. The boogers. Someday they will all clean up without having to be
told.

Anyways, I sat here, trying to figure out why I like this quote so much. I thought, we are God's focus. His thoughts are on us continually. We screw up constantly, yet He is just there, waiting for us to remember Him. Waiting for us to stop trying to do everything ourselves. Waiting for us to love Him. He wants our focus to be Him. For us to love Him so much that everything else gets forgotten. We can't change ourselves. Only God can change us. We can't even really love Him. Remember, we love Him with the love with which He loved us? I can't remember what verse that was. But we can do something. We can make a choice. We can get distracted by all our problems or what have you, and all we have to do is make a choice to turn back to the line. Once we do that, all the problems don't matter, then He is what matters. That's what He is waiting for.

1 comment:

  1. "We can't even really love Him." very true Lori. Is the verse you were thinking about John 17:26?
    "And I have made you name known to them and will yet make it known, that the love which You have love Me may be in them, and I in them" John 17:26

    ReplyDelete